Comment on page
Add a custom domain
Every solution in Appfarm comes with a unique name and a unique
appfarm.appURL. For example, your solution may be named ThirtyFifty Inc, having
thirtyfifty.appfarm.appas URL to the production environment.
Appfarm also supports custom URLs for the production environment. For example, you may want to use
For the above example of ThirtyFifty Inc, here are the prerequisites and steps to be followed.
- You need access to the operator of the
thirtyfifty.comdomain. This is normally some department or employee of ThirtyFifty Inc (but this is sometimes outsourced as well)
- You need either a dedicated subdomain (such as
portal.thirtyfifty.com) or the root domain (such as
thirtyfifty.com) to be pointed towards the
appfarm.appdomain. You cannot point a URL such as
thirtyfifty.comis already being used for the main website. In this case, you will need to create a subdomain
- You may only have 1 custom domain, and that domain must point to the root appfarm domain. Example: You cannot point
portal.thirtyfifty.comto a subdirectory such as
thirtyfifty.appfarm.app/myapp. See explaination in Comments.
- 1.By the Customer (technical operator of thirtyfifty.com): Create a subdomain such as portal.thirtyfifty.com (the name "portal" may be something else also). CNAME records of portal.thirtyfifty.com must be mapped to thirtyfifty.appfarm.app.
- 2.By Appfarm: Let Appfarm know when step 1 is done, and we will complete the setup on our side.
- Note that both the appfarm.app domain and the new custom domain will work after a new custom domain has been configured.
- The reason why you cannon map
portal.thirtyfifty.comdirectly to the App (i.e. subdirectory)
thirtyfifty.appfarm.app/myapp, is that the CNAME mapping translates to an IP address (that targets the root
- Example: You want custom domain
mypage.thirtyfifty.comto point directly to the app "My Page" and another domain
admin.thirtyfifty.comto point to the app "Admin". Due to the reason explained in the previous point, that is not possible. The solution is to have a single custom domain, for example
thirtyfifty.appfarm.app). That would result in the following directlinks to the apps:
- If you distribute the URL
portal.thirtyfifty.comto your users - the users will remain in this domain while using the App. Also, if your App makes use of
App Variables.Hostname, the value of this variable will be the current hostname (
portal.thirtyfifty.com). The new domain is the default domain for Services (which may also use
Service Variables.Hostnamefor constructing URLs if used for sending emails).